So let’s see – first ever (written) submissions made to a particular court; spent the night at my grandmother’s house probably for the first time since I was a child; had a wonderful house guest; reorganized the craft-area part of our room; also at least four loads of laundry and practised piano every day except the day I wasn’t home. Whew.
And yet I still am not sure I did everything I wanted to do. It turns out lists can be pretty helpful eh? I wasn’t sure if I wanted to keep that up on here but it seems as though it’s a big help for me so there you go. That’s the only incentive I need.
It’s a long weekend in Ontario this weekend:
I have a love/hate this with holidays that move. In this case, Victoria day is the Monday before May 25. Regardless of the actual day – which can be anywhere from the 18th to the 24th – it’s sort of known as the “May 2-4” weekend. A 2-4 being slang for a case of beer as well. And it’s kinda funny as Queen Victoria’s actual birthday was May 24th. And it’s one of only three holidays in the Federal Holidays Act.
I’m trying my best to rest this weekend. To just chill. To eat ice cream and drink beer and knit and spend time on Monday planning out the upcoming week or two, including getting back on the keto-wagon.
Have a great weekend all!
I mentioned earlier that I wanted to try and be more deliberate, or at least not so rudderless.
- I’ll stop and think before I eat or drink anything.
- I’ll focus on work at work and on home at home
I’ve been good with the big picture stuff this week: I may not always have eaten ‘well’ but when I did it was a conscious decision and not just mindless eating. And I’ve been far more productive at work this week, although it is a bit stressful right now.
- Buy new LED lightbulbs and replace all the old outdoor light bulbs with the new LED ones; ✅
- Send a note to someone;
- One load of laundry – this is a never-ending chore but sometimes it gets away from me so I’m keeping it on the list for now; ✅
- Practice piano every day;
- Wednesday or Thursday I want to do some baking for work as a treat for a co-worker who is going on leave; ✅
- Wednesday – take Q swimming! ✅
- Thursday – after-work drinks with co-workers. I am almost never able to go thanks to a busy family schedule so I am not bailing out on the one that I can get to!
- Also a bigger goal is to declutter so – post at least 2 items for sale on facebook or kijiji (or both). Does anyone ever do well selling stuff on ebay anymore?
Mortgage renewals and leaving the baking for my co-worker to the last minute meant I couldn’t go out for after-work drinks on Thursday, so that’s a bit sad.
Kugelhopf (will be another post about this soon)
And while I did get the new LED light bulbs, I haven’t yet replaced them all. I got rid of a giant bin of duplo and some knickknacks I’ve had since highschool – think about that for a second. I’ve had those things for roughly 25 years years. Why am I holding on to things for 25 years!?!
And yea, practising just hasn’t seemed to happen this week. I really gotta get on that!
What’s gonna happen on the weekend?
I think I can stop writing out the big picture goals until either (a) they change or (b) I’ve started to ignore them.
More practical / everyday things:
- send a note to someone
- replace the light bulbs & figure out how to properly dispose of the old ones
- clean 2 random things
- pick Robin up from the airport
- spend time with family on Sunday 🙂 this is a little out of the ordinary as we all get together at my grandmother’s house for mother’s day. It’s not a holiday our little family of three make a big deal out of but my mom loves it and her family like the tradition of getting together.
tulips at Osgoode Hall in Toronto
So it’s officially fall now. Autumn. Heck. Where has the time gone?
Trying to get a first day of JK photo…
It’s Sunday though so I’m sitting here singing Maggie May to myself “It’s late September and I really should be back at school.” No more school for me 😉 but now Q has officially started JK! And I’m all for new beginnings, new starts, setting small goals. Medium goals. BIG GOALS.
So small goals – this week:
- go through Q’s clothes and figure out what I need to buy him. He needs pants but I think we have pants. But I cannot find his pants. He is my child but I think he will not be wearing shorts outside in November like I often do.
- run 4 times; 5 would be great 4 is the minimum; also yoga once.
- practice French every other day for a minimum of 20 minutes. I am taking a beginner’s French class at work on Mondays. It’s an hour a week but I need to practice! So class on Monday and practice (read the book; listen online) Wednesday, Friday, Sunday.
- write two blog posts. I might not post them because I cannot find the little doohickey to transfer the pictures from the camera card to the computer….wait – that’s a goal for the week. Go buy another doohickey. Also – learn what the heck the doohickey is properly called.
- brush the cats every other day and look up ways to help Panda deal with the hairballs.
- go through all the bathroom stuff – this might seem silly but we’ve got “stuff” in three different bathrooms. I need to figure out what we have, what we’re running low on that sort of thing.
PandaCat from Instagram
Medium goals – by the end of October (about 4 weeks):
- I am running a half-marathon on October 18. That’s in three weeks. My honest-to-goodness goal for this half-marathon is to finish it without hating running and vowing to never run again. I’m also fundraising for the Canadian Children’s Opera Company if you’re so inclined.
- read 3 books; spend a bit of time each day reading with Q.
- stick to my keto diet 90% of the time. SO I can have Thanksgiving Saturday and Sunday off but that’s about it really. Between now and uhm Hallowe’en of course 😉
- run 4-5 times a week. Go to yoga once a week.
- 20 minutes a day on the piano. Contact the piano tuner to see if he can come back to tune the piano before the end of November.
- write two – three blog posts a week. I should be able to do that! 1 general babbly post like this one. 1 whisky related post. 1 baking/keto post. See. Easy peasy right? Sigh.
Medium goals – by the end of November (so about 8 weeks):
- follow through on my plan to hire a friend for some running/fitness training. It’s a three-month commitment to start. Then monthly. I figure it’ll come out of my allowance until I’ve proved myself, well, to myself. The second part of my medium goal is to commit to doing whatever the heck she gives me to do for the three months (if not longer). I adore her as a person and completely respect her as an athlete so it should be good. Oh here’s a link to her website.
- maintain the other medium goal posts from October. Two to three months of those and they’ll be habits right?
Long goals. Big Goals. I’m thinking about this part. Maybe I’ll add that to the short term goals for this week. Thing about the big goals. What do I want? How do I get there?